Earth Delta Alpha 1.4
Let’s see, this is the Alpha 1.4 of Earth Delta which is my spin on Gamma World, soon to be followed by the Beta, which will feature Omega-class robots and more Psi powers… is there any way I can work more Greek letters into this? "Kappa" gets almost no respect. Neither does "Omicron". But I digress. (Big shock there.)
Anyway, here is what I hope will be the final Alpha of Earth Delta, to be followed by the first of probably many betas. Two things wall off "alpha" from "beta". First, feature and mechanical solidity. Once I declare beta, there will likely be no major mechanical changes — I won’t alter the core mechanics of classes or how mutations work or the like, though plenty of values will be tweaked and changed. Second, there will be enough "stuff" in place to run an actual game from level 1 to 10… not as full, rich, or robust as a "release version", but enough so that each category of items has several viable choices — that means human gifts, tech items, mutations, consumables, and all the rest will have more than 1 or 2 placeholder items. At the point I declare this to be in beta, there’s no excuse for wholly missing subsections of the rules. (This does not include sections I’ve already decided are "non core" — for example, PC Robots may or may not be in beta, but they’re not a requirement. On the other hand, you’d better be able to use the races I’ve declared "complete’ to generate a range of reasonable, balanced, characters.
How long from Alpha to Beta? Not sure. My very loose goal, right now, is the end of May. Depending on how things go, there might be an "Alpha 1.5" between here and there, as I like to keep the site active to remind people this project is still alive, but I will do that primarily if there’s been another major shift in mechanics, not just if I’ve added 15 more monsters and 20 more tech items.
What’s in this new version? You can read on, or you can just follow this link to jump to the PDF.
As always, in case you got here by accident, the explanation: Earth Delta is Lizard’s take on "Mutants And Mayhem" roleplaying, ala classic Gamma World, with rules based on the Fourth Edition of Dungeons & Dragons.
What’s Mutated… I mean, Changed
Here’s the new stuff. It was written linearly as I added it, and not edited, so it might be a bit repetive in places.
- A few more monsters, a few more tech items, and, oh yes, the long-awaited(?) scholar.
- Lots more Scholar work.
- More Cataclysm Cults.
- More waist mutations.
- Instant "oids".
- Hands! Good lord, something like 400 people have DL’ed this thing and no one has said, "Yo, dude… like, where’s the hands mutations?" (OK, the whole "It’s alpha! It’s incomplete! Leave me alone!" preface might be a big part of this. It’s kind of hard for me to say "Don’t tell me stuff is missing, I’m writing as fast as I can!" and then say "Why didn’t anyone TELL me I was missing this stuff?")
- The Photon Master PP for the Scavenger. Pretty damage-focused. That’s two striker-y paths; times to work on upping the "Control" factor.
- More monsters. Squirkills, ratmen of various sorts. Snagators. All sorts of cool stuff.
- More tech. As usual. Gotta have some fun toys for the hoo-mons, right?
- Began adding consumables.
- More human Gifts.
- Greater mutations.
- Improved Giloids
- Added frogoids, rabbitoids.
- Terrains of various sorts, and some traps and hazards.
- Some more Survivalist stuff.
- Added enhanced mutation feats; these will eventually be part of all Personal Mutations, but it’s an Ongoing Process TM.
- Added and defined several more Cataclysm Cults — Turing’s Children, the Ludd, the Green Revolution, and probably some more. Also completely rearranged the monster section layout, so each cult is in its own named section, instead of a huge chunk just under "Cataclysm Cults".
- The first batch of level 10 monsters, including the first solo.
OK, enough listings! Click the glowing radiation symbol!